Friday, February 17, 2017

Week 6 Blog - Workplace Transformation

This week we were focused on skills and attributes that can build collaborative teams.  I think this week was especially relevant to my current role and I can definitely apply these concepts to my job.  Being able to recognize both positive and negative behaviors in your teammates is critical to building a strong team.  For example, I discussed how my co workers might have very different reactions to the building redesign for our corporate office.  In my discussion I mainly focused on the challenges employees will face when transitioning to one way of working (cubicles) to something entirely different (open space). 
I think it’s important to be extremely mindful of what I say about the new working environment.  A lot of my co workers make negative comments, poke fun at the idea of collaborating, and say how much they are dreading it.  Even if I am not very fond of the newly redesigned building myself, I don’t want to go around telling people because I might be perceived as someone who doesn’t want to collaborate and is resistant to change.  I don’t think people realize how critical what you say and how you act in times of significant change is.  I think a lot of what we have learned in this course reinforces the importance of self awareness.  Your words and actions can influence the people around you, and can also shape their perceptions of you.   This is really just human nature and I don’t want to be put into the bucket of people who are associated with being negative at work.    I can definitely think of five-ten people who causally said they think it’s a horrible idea, unproductive, and an invasion of privacy.  
The reality is that these people have to change and get on board or they will be forced out of the organization.  Or even worse, if they stay in the organization, they will be perceived as unhappy and that they don’t do well with change.  This will continue to negatively impact their reputation as an employee at the company.  That might result in them not getting a promotion down the roadm or not chosen to work on a specific project because of their percieved attitude.  Being open to change, new ideas and ways of working is very important.  I think that during this time of transition, I can point out some of the positives of the workplace transformation and really show my leadership skills.  “Success at work starts with positive perceptions” (Garfinkle, 2011).  By maintaining a positive attitude during the transition, it can also influence others to either keep their opinions to themselves, or better yet also begin to see some positives.  In order to build an effective team, I need to focus on motivating others to want to work in this new environment and being open to the benefits it can bring.  We know that the transformation is underway and isn’t going to stop, and so preparing for it now will hopefully ease the transition when it hits my team specifically. 

References:

Garfinkle, J. A. (n.d.). Transforming Perceptions: 10 Steps to Managing the Way You Are Perceived at Work. Retrieved February 17, 2017, from              http://www.greatleadershipbydan.com/2011/10/transforming-perceptions-10-steps-to.html

1 comment:

  1. Olivia:

    We moved into new offices right before the holidays, and the first few weeks, almost everyone was complaining -- the offices were dark, we couldn't control the overhead lights, the hallway was long and echoed...you can imagine. By now, most people have acclimated, and, even if they are not happy, they don't talk about it as much. Sometimes we just need to vent. But you are right -- being outwardly negative doesn't help, especially in the face of big changes.

    ReplyDelete